Monday, October 03, 2005

ETC

I thought I'd recap some of the equipment updates, etc for a final blog, before the Noe Mar goes to sea again (in a few weeks or a month?)

OK...first thing to correct...of course a diesel engine takes in water for cooling and fuel for operating...and neither of the twain ever meet...thus (groggy and sliding in the nav station ?) the kelp had nothing to do with a fuel strainer....rather we emptied the forward tank and switched to the rear tank of fuel. Thus when we fueled up at the dock....any and all sediment that was in the tank came forth to clog the fine filter. This is the reason one has "dual Racor filters"...and I switched from one to the other...all was fine. So...replace the filter before you go again, Scotty, and keep a spare on hand.

I ordered and have a "battery monitor" system. Seems that Radar sucks a lot of power. O.P. had one...so I looked for one and found it...had it UPS'd to Charleston and it is on board. This will be mounted and the alarm turned on...so we never loose power again...No, I do not run the fridge unless the engine is running. Loosing power and having your lap top alarm come on (low battery) is not fun....besides you loose your tracking line (I saved it after that one).

Next...Bruce Schwab says (as I have found several times) that a Wind Vane does NOT work well in following wind/seas. Thus I have priced out a heavy duty system (Noe Mar weighs 10 ton) and it appears to be around 3-4 BOAT dollars (Break Out Another Thousand)....so we will see. Still, that is cheap life insurance.

The boom should be repaired next week...then it is paint it and replace all the hardware...and be very sure that the preventer is used from now on (I have 2 of them).

I am still leaving the option open to ship the Noe Mar back to Port Hadlock...but if I get a good crew and Candy is happy...we will proceed.

The Marina in San Rafael is the "Loch Lomand" and there are 2 of them in the world...the other one is on the Loch Lomand of Scotland....so I think we are situated correctly.

I will ship the Davis weather monitor back to be repaired or replaced (you know...the one the wave doused with salt water).

To much food...we gave a lot of it away to the staff at the Marina.

Need to clean the rust off the bow and sail...then I need to put a good barrier paint on everything and repaint parts.

R.O. water system...I think I would've been better off with a packaged unit...I found one in West Marine that produces 300 gpd for 4 boat dollars and no plumbing...still, the system I have is great...and I think it is a faulty membrane....so we will see.

When I haul the Noe Mar next time...I will saw off the top part of the rudder (like the Naval Arch. John Simpson suggested) due to the fact that the top of the rudder, when it is turned, forces the water up on the stern of the hull...and if that top is reduced...that will not happen. The result should make the rudder easier to handle.

The folding Prop, KIWI PROP, worked great...and we actually traveld 7 knots a lot of the time and we were NOT in the coastal 2 knot stream...rather we were out much further than that.

Need to set up the Trys'l so all one has to do is pull it out of the bag and attach it. This must be easy to do and fast. This is a matter of leaving lines on it...etc.

Preventer...need one for the mizzen also...or leave it down.

Aries...I think new bushings would be good...but it does work.

More storage bags for the galley...hate that noise of "crashing" to the sole all the goodies that are not velcroed down.

The Noe Mar stood up to heavy winds and seas (PS...email MaxSea about 40 chopper reports)... unlike a modern sail boat from Canada that was out where we were...all 7 crew were air lifted off of her after repeated knock-downs...and the boat is lost at sea. No injuries...but no boat either. Sorry about that...the GRIB called for 15-20 knots out @ 70-80 mi and only 5 knots in 15-20 miles....wrong... but NOAA figures called for the same as Ocens Weather Net and MaxSea Chopper. You learn to deal with the hand that is dealt you...and pick a good boat with a good Skipper and crew. We got 2 out of 3...OK? (could use a better Skipper).

One more item...Seems my Son-in-Law (Doc Mal) won the rowboat race around Skunk Island, hands down...he said it was due to the Dory I built him...I said it was due to his huge oars and great upper body strength. Glad Ajax had that race...fun...and sorry Lorry (hope I spelled her name right)...your guy came in second...:)

For now...the Skipper of the Noe Mar is signing off for a few weeks.........keep in touch all mi amigos............."Scotty"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home