Sunday, March 21, 2010

Aqua Air generator, 2010


Some time ago, I purchased a thin layer film solar panel to go with my existing Crystal solar panel, but I never was sure that I would have enough juice to run all of the electronics and fridge (cool blue) that I have on the boat, that and the running lights. So, I did some research and came up with Aqua Air from the UK. A tried and true generator, that can be used as a wind generator when anchored (remember the Noe Mar is a Seagoer Yawl and has no room for a normal wind generator...and the mizzen mast is taken up with a radar dome).

The aqua part of this generator uses a small blade on a shaft, similar to a taft knot log of the old days, only larger, and the same principle. The blade twists a line that is attached to the center of the generator and creates electricity while you are sailing...even directly down wind. I queried a couple that used it for years on their sailing journey and the say it never slowed their boat down even a 1/4 of a knot...not that they could discern. After building a new stern rail, I mounted the generator, ready to be used on distant cruising. Next I had to mount the controller to prevent the batteries from being over charged. I also have a controller for the solar panels. Anyway, here is the picture of the small electronic controller that I mounted under the deck and down to the house battery system. More fun, tight quarters...but it is done. Now I only need to test the system. Anyone up to sailing with me to Hawaii next spring? We could test it, as soon as we clear the cape or cabo (espanol) and head into the trade winds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous go to this site said...

Thanks for sharing fabulous information.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home